09 Jun Whole-Wheat Veggie Pizza | Healthy Recipes
A Healthy Recipe by Dietitian Liz
It’s that time of year when gardens a bursting full of fresh vegetables. These seasonal goodies are readily available either from our own back yard or our local farmers market. Try adding veggies to your meal by using them as toppings on a homemade pizza. Some of my favorites include peppers, onions, zucchini, broccoli, and tomatoes.
This is a fun meal that can involve the whole family and may even get some of those “picky eaters” trying some new foods!
- Whole-wheat pizza dough
- Package of freshly sliced mushrooms
- Tomato sauce
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Diced Vegetables for toppings (try peppers, onions, zucchini, broccoli, eggplant, or tomatoes)
You can find whole-wheat pizza dough that’s just as healthy as one you’d knead yourself, but without the time it would take to make it. These can be found at Walmart, Harris Teeter, or any local grocery store in the pasta isle with the pizza sauce or in the refrigerated section near the butter, eggs and other pastry items.
1. Roll it out, spread on some sauce, and sprinkle with cheese.
2. Put the sliced mushrooms and other veggies in a bowl with a few scoops of pesto and mix to coat.
3. Add the veggies to the pizza, cook for 10 – 12 minutes at 425 degrees F, and dinner is ready!