12 Mar Quick Butternut Squash Soup | Healthy Recipes
I have finally crossed butternut squash soup off my bucket list! For me these vegetables are a bit intimidating but I have found a trick to make them more manageable to cook. Prior to peeling the squash place it in a microwave safe dish with about ¼ cup water in the bottom and microwave the for 2-3 minutes on each side. This will help to soften the squash enough that you will be able to peel the exterior with a vegetable peeler and cut through it much easier. Once the squash is chopped the rest of this recipe is pretty simple. Note that you may need to add more broth or water to cover the squash while boiling. For this recipe I also added some additional herbs such as thyme and rosemary for more flavor.
- 1 Teaspoon olive oil
- 5 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Yellow onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped (or 1t. ground dry sage)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 3-4 cups fat-free, low sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs butternut squash (peeled, seeded, cubed)
- parmesan cheese(Garnish)
- Add oil, garlic and onion to large stockpot over medium heat.
- Sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add sage, salt, pepper, broth and squash.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes (or until squash has a tender consistency).
- Use stick blender to lightly puree, leaving some chunks, or puree half of the soup in a food processor or blender and return to pot.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese and more fresh sage (if desired).
Recipe credit: https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/quick-butternut-squash-soup-17987?photo=cGhvdG8tMjczMzU3