02 Jan New Year Resolutions
Are you one of the many people making a new year’s resolution for 2020? I’m sure you are aware that most resolutions fail before they even start. This does not have to be the case. Your resolution can be a success if you identify the right resolution to improve your life and create a plan on how to reach it. Start by evaluating if the resolution you made is right for you.
- Is your resolution based on what someone else is telling you to change?
- Is it too vague?
- Do you have a realistic plan to achieve your goal?
Your resolutions/goals should be SMART. SMART goals are specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely. This approach is designed to help you reach your goal.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]
Your goal should be as specific as possible and answer the questions:
- What is your goal?
- How often or how much?
- Where will it take place?
How will you measure your goal? Measurement will give you specific feedback and hold you accountable.
Goals should push you, but it is important that they are achievable. Are your goals attainable? Are your goals too easy?
Is your goal and timeframe realistic for the goal you have made?
Do you have a timeframe listed in your SMART goal? This helps you be accountable and helps in motivation.
Below are some SMART goal examples for reference:
Example: To reduce eating at fast food restaurants: For the next two weeks, I will pack a lunch for work 3 days each week–Monday, Wednesday and Thursday.
Example: To increase physical activity: For the next two weeks, I will walk for 15 minutes of my lunch break all 5 days each week.
Tips for motivation to meet your goal:
- Write it down. This will help with making a commitment to yourself. Put the goal up where you will see it frequently. This can help with motivation.
- Share your goals. Sharing your goals with a spouse, family member, fried, or co-worker can also help with external motivation.
- Visualize it. Imagine what it would be like to meet your goal. Feeling this sense of accomplishment can be a huge motivator.
Making a New Year’s resolution/goal can be fun and exciting. Using the above steps and tips will help make your goal become a reality.